What if I told you that you could make an ad or content reaching 14 billion views? It may sound overwhelming, but it's not impossible. That's the reach of the hashtag #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt in 2022: a tag that visualized millions of products, reviews, and commercial accounts on TikTok: the most revolutionary social network in the last few years.
That does not mean you have to go and open a commercial account on that platform (although you’ll inevitably have to if you don’t have one already). Still, it does mean that when designing a digital marketing campaign, you must include social networks: an ecosystem that reached over 4.96 billion users in 2023. So here are many crucial social media statistics to remember when creating your advertising strategy in 2024.
Demographic Social Media Statistics
The Digital 2023 October Global Statshot Report given by Darareportal shows that the global social media landscape continues to expand rapidly, with active users now representing 61.4% of the world's population.
Over the past year, social media adoption has surged by an impressive 3.7%, welcoming 173 million new active identities to the virtual fold. This noteworthy growth highlights the ever-increasing role of social media in connecting people and shaping the digital sphere worldwide.
If you thought 2020 was the peak year for social media due to isolation, you're wrong. While it is true that in 2020 the time spent on these platforms increased, that time continues to grow month by month. In fact, by July of 2023, we can see the highest growth since January of 2022.
Although men account for 53.6% of social network users, women spend more time browsing social media.
This data is essential when putting together a strategic marketing plan because even though women account for only 46.4% of total social media users, according to Hootsuite's annual report, they are the ones who spend more time scrolling content on these platforms daily.
According to Data Reportal, although the average time users spend on social networks worldwide is two hours and 26 minutes, women usually exceed men's online activity time by up to half an hour.
By the way, the amount of time an adult spends on social media platforms is higher than ever: one hour and 35 minutes a day.
In fact, By the end of 2023, more adults aged 65 and older are expected to have an account on social media platforms, which represents an opportunity to reach new and broad audiences willing to invest their time in content that meets their interests and needs.
So if the tendency continues growing, social media users are expected to increase to 5.85 billion users by 2027. By october 2023, the number was around 4.96 billion users.
On the other hand, on a global scale, the average individual is expected to have 8.4 social network accounts.
Americans alone have an average of 7.1 accounts per person. India stands out, with 11.5 accounts, and Japan, with 3.8.
These statistics highlight the diversity of the multi-platform landscape. Understanding these figures is crucial for Marketers, advertisers, content creators, and entrepreneurs who want to leverage the potential of social media in their activities.
Social Media and Marketers Statistics
Facebook and Instagram are still the most used platforms by marketers (93% and 78%, respectively), but TikTok is the fastest-growing.
According to the statistical portal Statista, 93% of marketers not only use Facebook as their first choice when deploying ad campaigns, but this platform is responsible for at least 25% of all digital ad spending. Also, other applications, such as Instagram, used by 80% of marketers, continue to bring excellent visibility and conversion to brands.
Although TikTok is a popular platform among the younger generations, it is a social network that increasingly imposes trends that its rivals, Instagram or Facebook, imitate to ensure the usability of such applications. That is why it is essential to consider it when designing viral content since TikTok growth rate in the U.S. over the last two years is estimated at 105%
However, according to the same source, Linked In, Youtube, and Twitter are in the top 5 of the best platforms marketers use to promote their campaigns, with an approach of 64%, 54%, and 44%, respectively.
But marketers and advertisers should turn their eyes to growing platforms such as TikTok. By now, TikTok is the platform with the highest engagement rate. 5.96% of engagement may tell you so far.
If you thought Instagram was still the most time-consuming platform for social media users, you need to be corrected.
A study from Social Insider concluded that Instagram continues to dominate social streaming services, achieving an engagement of 81% over other social media apps, such as Facebook (8%).
For example: when it comes to content, those related to the tourism industry are the most popular on that platform. However, while being the most consumed on Instagram, this type of content only achieves an engagement rate of 1.41%.
Can you estimate the 5.96% engagement rate that TikTok had in 2023 and why you should consider this platform to generate genuinely-interested communities in your area of expertise?
Social Media Usage Statistics
According to Datareportal, the top 5 favorite social media platforms used by people between 16 and 64 years worldwide are:
- Whatsapp first, with 16.3% of engagement;
- Instagram, with 15.2% of engagement;
- Facebook, with 13,8% of engagement;
- WeChat, the most popular social platform in mainland China with 12,9% of engagement;
- TikTok with 6,4% of engagement.
Also, after analyzing 53 million likes, comments, and shares of posts made by multinational brands on social networks such as Facebook or Twitter, a study published in July 2022 concluded that content could be 17.6% more engaging when warning people not to do something.
According to the analysis, using “DON'T” instead of “DO” sounds more authoritative and characterful. Plus, it may be associated with a much more effective power status when generating interactions on social media.
Besides this, Datareportal revealed that 75% of Internet users use social media to seek recommendations and opinions about products and services.
It shows that while you should take care of your online presence, you should also take care of your real-world experience because, behind a screen, people's comments can make or break your reputation.
Recently published statistics on the use of social media revealed that most users use them as a validator of information, but 27.9% of Internet users have accounts on platforms to make purchases and find inspiration.
Therefore, 71% of those with good customer service experience while shopping through social media recommend brands to their friends and family.
It happens in real life and in social media too (and soon in the metaverse): customer service is one of the essential aspects when building buyer loyalty.
Is it easy for your audience to find your products? Are your response times optimal? These are some of the questions you should ask yourself if you want to improve the user experience.
But be aware that 46% of social media users would abandon a brand if it ran too many promotional ads.
You may have already read it many times elsewhere. Still, although the commercial use of social networks is to sell, your content strategy must also be oriented to create loyal communities.
And how do you create loyal communities? There still needs to be a foolproof recipe to achieve it, but you must remember to connect with users who identify with your brand's values.
Even some market surveys conclude that focusing on telling the stories behind your products or experiences on social media can get you a 46% higher chance of success than bombarding your followers with promotional ads.
61% of consumers rely on the recommendation of an influencer to take action on social media
Whether to follow an account, buy a product, or go to a new restaurant, some studies conducted by companies dedicated to e-commerce concluded that almost half of the active users on social networks agree to try a brand if an influencer has validated it before even surpassing the trust they have in their favorite celebrities, which is around 38%.
The Social Shepherd also ensures that branded social media material is only trusted by 38% of people. The numbers tell that investing in influencers is more accurate than investing in branded content for the same reason.
Not surprisingly, 93% of marketers said they have used influencers in their strategies and campaigns, revealing that only 7% have discouraged influencer marketing for advertising.
That figure would explain why influencer marketing is an industry expected to reach over 15 billion dollars.
According to Statista, in 2022, YouTube emerged as a lucrative platform for creators, with sponsored videos garnering over a million views and commanding an average minimum cost of $2,500.
Not to be outdone, Instagram influencers boasting a million followers demanded an average minimum price of $1,200 per post in 2021, while their TikTok counterparts, with the same impressive following, charged an average minimum of $1,034 per video.
For those with followings ranging from 100,000 to a million, the sponsorship game remained enticing, with Instagram macro-influencers requesting an average minimum of $185 per post and TikTok's macro-influencers settling for $151.
With potential earnings reaching an average maximum of $16,234 for YouTube, $2,500 for Instagram, and $793 for TikTok, these statistics illustrate the undeniable allure and financial impact of social media influence on content creators and brands alike.
But keep calm: you don't necessarily need to invest your entire budget in the most viral influencer in your country from now on, as there is a growing market of micro-influencers that also have loyal communities, and it reached a market share of 91% between 2020 and 2021, according to a study by TheSocialShepherd.
Social Media Statistics Summary
- 60.6% of the world's population is represented as active identities users of Social Media.
- Social media usage increased by 3.7 percent compared with the past year.
- The social networks field is going to gain at least 173 million new active identities.
- 53.6% of social network users are men.
- 46.4% of total social media users are women.
- According to Hootsuite's annual report, Women spend more time scrolling. Content on these platforms daily.
- Two hours and 26 minutes are the average time users spend on social networks worldwide.
- An hour and 35 minutes is an adult user's average time on social networks.
- More adults aged 65 and older are expected to have social media accounts.
- 4.96 billion are the actual number of social media users. (October 2023)
- Social media users are expected to increase to 5.85 billion users by 2027
- 8.4 social network accounts is the average individual expected to have by this year.
- Americans have an average of 7.1 accounts per person.
- Indians have an average of 11.5 accounts per person.
- Japanese have an average of 3.8 accounts per person.
- 89% of marketers use Facebook to promote their campaigns.
- 80% of marketers use Instagram to promote their campaigns.
- 64% of marketers use Linkedin to promote their campaigns.
- 54% of marketers use Youtube to promote their campaigns.
- 44% of marketers use Twitter to promote their campaigns.
- Facebook is responsible for at least 25% of all digital ad spending.
- TikTok has had a growth rate in the U.S. over the last two years at 105%
- TikTok is the platform with the highest engagement rate. 5.96% of engagement may tell you so far.
- Whatsapp has 16.3% of engagement with Social Media users.
- Instagram has 15.2% of engagement with Social Media users.
- Facebook has 13,8% of engagement with Social Media users.
- WeChat has 12,9% of engagement with Social Media users.
- TikTok has 6,4% of engagement with Social Media users.
- Social media content could be 17.6% more engaging when you tell people not to do something.
- 75% of social media users use them to seek recommendations and opinions about products and services.
- 27.9% of Internet users have accounts on platforms to make purchases and find inspiration
- 71% recommend brands to their friends and family if they have great customer service through their social media purchases.
- 46% of social media users would abandon a brand if it ran too many promotional ads.
- 61% of consumers rely on the recommendation of an influencer to take action on social media.
- 38%. of consumers rely on the recommendation of their favorite celebrity to take action on social media.
- Just 38% of people trust branded social media content.
- 93% of marketers used influencers in their strategies and social media campaigns.
- 7% of marketers discourage influencer marketing for advertising.
- Influencer marketing is expected to reach a value of over 15 billion dollars.
- YouTube sponsored videos garnering over a million views and commanding an average minimum cost of $2,500.
- Instagram influencers with a million followers demanded an average minimum price of $1,200 per post.
- TikTok Influencers, with a million followers, charged an average minimum of $1,034 per video.
- Micro-influencers reached a market share of 91% between 2020 and 2021.
- YouTube reached an average maximum of $16,234
- Instagram reached an average maximum of $2,500
- TikTok reached an average maximum of $793
How can I effectively leverage TikTok for my marketing campaign?
TikTok's rapid growth rate makes it an ideal platform to engage with younger audiences. To succeed, focus on creating authentic and entertaining content that aligns with the platform's trends and challenges.
What are the fundamental factors for building a loyal social media community in 2024?
Building a loyal community requires consistent engagement, responding to feedback, and sharing compelling stories that resonate with your audience's values and interests.
How can micro-influencers benefit my brand's marketing strategy?
Micro-influencers can provide more personalized and authentic endorsements, enabling your brand to connect with niche audiences and build stronger relationships.
How can I enhance customer service on social media to improve user experience?
To enhance customer service, ensure timely responses, address concerns empathetically, and provide value through meaningful interactions. Positive customer experiences lead to higher satisfaction and brand loyalty.
What are some effective content strategies to stand out on Instagram?
Diversify your content with visually appealing images, interactive stories, and informative reels. Additionally, engaging with your audience through polls, Q&A sessions, and behind-the-scenes content can foster a more meaningful connection.