It's no secret that since Elon Musk owned Twitter, the game's rules have changed a bit on the app.
The platform's revenues have fallen by up to 40% since the CEO's arrival, as at least 500 advertisers have reconsidered continuing to promote their services on Twitter. The reason? According to The Information, ethical and moral differences regarding Musk's approach to content moderation on the platform.
However, as of 2022, Twitter was the sixth most visited website and the fourth, focusing exclusively on social media platforms. So if you have a brand with values and stances that can generate conversation, keep this platform in mind and check out these 10 Twitter stats and trends for 2023:
1. Twitter has 544 million monthly active users
In terms of active accounts, Twitter ranks above websites such as Reddit or Pinterest with an estimated 544 million, according to the most updated report from Hootsuite.
And although since October 2022, thousands of users have protested against Elon Musk's management by moving to other similar portals such as Mastodon, according to Mitchell Clark of The Verge, until December, Twitter had at least 250 million monetized daily users. Not bad at all.
2. 87.1% of Twitter users also use Instagram
When it comes to analyzing the behavior of users of social media platforms, you have to consider why they consume them.
According to Hootsuite:
- 47% of users browse these apps to keep in touch with their families and friends.
- 35% to kill time.
- 34% to consume current news.
The above behavior could explain why 81.7% of Twitter users also spend their time on Instagram: both apps supplement the entertainment and information needs of the general social media user.
3. 61.2 % of Twitter users use the platform to consume news and current events
In line with the previous figure, and this time focusing exclusively on Twitter users, 61.2% log in to the platform to consume news and current events.
These are the other most popular uses of Twitter, according to GWI's most recent survey:
- 38% to research/follow brands or products.
- 36% to find fun or entertaining content.
- 31% to share images or videos.
4. The average Twitter user spends 5.05 hours per month on the platform
Since Elon Musk became Twitter's owner, changes to the platform have been announced more frequently, ranging from Timeline modifications to charging official accounts that want to keep their blue check mark.
However, Twitter followers have shown that their discomfort with Elon Musk does not (for now) radically interfere with their liking of the platform.
According to recent studies, as of October 2022, Twitter consumed 5.05 hours of its users' time per month on average, placing the app above Telegram, FB Messenger, and Snapchat in terms of usage time.
5. Men represent 74% of total Twitter users
To maximize your chances of reaching your target audience on Twitter, you need to know the demographic breakdown of its user base.
The use of the platform tends to concentrate on men, representing between 63 and 74% of total users.
Meanwhile, according to We are social data, women represent only 25.7% of the Twitter audience.
6. 9.02% of web traffic produced by social media is thanks to Twitter
If you are wondering if Twitter is worth including in your marketing strategy, think about these benefits:
- Since Twitter is essentially a place for opinion, it allows more interaction with followers than other social media platforms.
- Although Facebook is still the social network that refers to more web traffic (71.6%), Twitter is in second place since 9.02% of website access usually comes thanks to this app. For this reason, the bird's platform can help you achieve your goal if you want more visits.
7. Twitter advertising reaches 6.9% of the global population
For the owner of Twitter, the platform initially founded by Jack Dorsey, "has the worst relevance on the planet."
In the same publication where Musk made the previous comment, the CEO assured that if anyone were asked if, in a decade of use, they had bought something they had seen in Twitter ads, the answer would be "no" in most cases. Is his perception accurate?
According to Hootsuite, Twitter ads can impress an estimated 544 million active accounts, which equates to 6.9% of the global population: a significant difference when you consider that Instagram advertising reaches 17% of it.
8. 33% of Twitter advertising focuses on users in the United States
If your brand is targeting the North American market, we have good news because the most significant number of Twitter users are in that region, which means that at least 33% of ads have visibility there.
In a report published in February 2023, DataReportal showed the areas with the most monetizable users in the world:
- North America: 95.4 million active users.
- Japan: 67.5 million users.
- India: 27.3 million users.
9. Barack Obama's account is the most followed Twitter account in 2023, with 133,264,063 followers
Twitter is basically an excellent media outlet where the most influential people in the world are likely to communicate their announcements. That partly explains why several of them (and also some celebrities) are among the most followed by journalists and citizens.
According to the first 2023 Twitter usage report by Kepios, these are the most followed accounts on Twitter:
- Barack Obama: 133,264,063 followers.
- Elon Musk: 130,673,106 followers.
- Justin Bieber: 113,478,663 followers.
10. 31.44% of Twitter users are between the ages of 25 and 34
According to Similar Web, 31.44% of Twitter users fall between 25 and 34. This age group, known as "millennials," is one of the most active and engaged Internet users since they have grown up with social media and are comfortable using it to communicate and connect.
Furthermore, this age group is often in a transitional stage of life, which can lead to higher social media usage. They are also likely to have more disposable income and purchasing power than younger age groups, making them an attractive target for advertisers.
The same page shows the second largest Twitter group (26%) comprises users aged 18 to 24.
- Twitter advertising has the potential to reach 6.9% of the world's population, and projections with upcoming changes with subscriptions increase. That makes Twitter a powerful marketing tool for brands looking to expand their reach and target a broad audience. However, companies must be strategic and target their advertising efforts to ensure they reach the right niche.
- Over half of Twitter users consume news and current events on the platform. That presents an opportunity for businesses to use Twitter to stay relevant and engage with their audience by sharing industry news and updates.
- Twitter is a significant source of social media web traffic, contributing to nearly 9% of all social media-generated web visits. That makes Twitter a valuable tool for businesses looking to drive website traffic and boost their online presence.
- Twitter has become a place to share daily updates and discuss common interests with other users worldwide. At least 500 million tweets are sent daily, meaning there are plenty of conversations to participate in. Show personality. Your brand voice should be consistent across all platforms and communicate your brand values.
1. Twitter has 544 million monthly active users.
2. 87.1% of Twitter users also use Instagram.
3. 61.2 % of Twitter users use the platform to consume news and current events.
4. The average Twitter user spends 5.05 hours per month on the platform.
5. Men represent 74% of total Twitter users.
6. 9.02% of web traffic produced by social media is thanks to Twitter.
7. Twitter advertising reaches 6.9% of the global population.
8. 33% of Twitter advertising focuses on users in the United States.
9. Barack Obama's account is the most followed Twitter account in 2023, with 133,264,063 followers.
10. 31.44% of Twitter users are between the ages of 25 and 34.