Whether you're an aspiring musician or a budding chef, you can now learn from the best in the business. From Alicia Keys to Gordon Ramsay, these MasterClass instructors have proved they have succeeded in their craft.
But is MasterClass worth the investment? Check these 10 MasterClass statistics for 2023 and find out if having your favorite celebrity as a teacher is a game-changer in online learning.
What is MasterClass?
MasterClass is not a typical eLearning platform; founded by David Rogier in 2015, it's a space where you can learn directly from your favorite celebrities.
For a one-time payment of $142,80, users gain lifetime access to a wide range of knowledge. (storytelling, cooking, sports, wellness, etc.) That includes video lessons, course materials, and the possibility to revisit the content anytime.
MasterClass also offers the Duo and Family plans at $214,20 and $285,60 annually. These plans allow multiple users to access the platform from different devices, which is ideal for families, study groups, or friends interested in learning together.
MasterClass Business Statistics
MasterClass has not only navigated through the pandemic's challenges but has also become one of the top players in the industry.
The company is growing fast, with more subscribers, a bigger organization, and strong financial support. They're also trying new ways to share content and forming corporate partnerships through MasterClass at Work.
Keep reading for the statistics to look deeper at MasterClass's current corporate status.
1. MasterClass is worth over $2.75 billion
The most recent information from CNBC reveals that MasterClass is now valued at over $2.75 billion, three times its value in 2020.
MasterClass' CEO recognizes that the pandemic sped up their success, highlighting how more people wanted to learn new skills.
2. MasterClass sold courses to over 30,000 people in its initial four months
In its first four months, MasterClass sold courses to over 30,000 individuals.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, they had only a few instructors, such as Dustin Hoffman, during that period. However, almost two years later, MasterClass boasts over a dozen courses and introduced new programs, attracting a $35 million investment from Silicon Valley's IVP.
3. To date, MasterClass has raised over $460 million in funding
MasterClass has gathered over $460 million from private investors, including NEA and Owl Ventures.
However, CEO David Rogier has clarified that the company is not interested in selling, even though media companies are considering buying it
4. MasterClass has over 500 employees
Of these, 57% live in the U.S., while the rest live in other countries such as India (4.7%), Brazil (3.8%), Canada (2.99%) and Malaysia (1.56%).
5. MasterClass app downloads surge past 1 Million
The MasterClass app, accessible on the Apple App Store and Google Play, has amassed over 1 million downloads from eager users.
With a commendable 4.1-star rating derived from a substantial pool of 19.9K reviews, the MasterClass app provides seamless access to an extensive array of MasterClass courses and features. Furthermore, users can make in-app purchases if they subscribe to the platform.
6. Instructors in MasterClass earn 30% of their class revenue
According to insiders, when instructors start with MasterClass, they get around $100,000 upfront and then earn 30% of what their classes make. But money isn't the only reason instructors work with this platform, according to Rogier, who doesn't want to discuss the contracts.
However, TechCrunch suggests that these numbers have probably increased in recent years.
MasterClass Usage Statistics
MasterClass provides various learning categories, each with famous instructors. These categories include Food, Design and style, Arts and entertainment, Music, Business, Science and Technology, Sports, and more.
Keep reading to learn more about the platform's content and current usage for an informed choice.
7. 46.12 % of MasterClass students are from the U.S.
According to Similarweb, MasterClass is primarily popular in the U.S. In fact, 46.12% of its students are from that country.
The U.K. follows it with 6.72% and Canada with 5.13%.
8. 56.52% of MasterClass' audience is female
MasterClass boasts a subscriber base that's notably balanced in terms of gender. According to similarweb data, approximately 56.52% of MasterClass' audience comprises women, while 43.48% are men.
Furthermore, when it comes to age demographics, the majority of MasterClass visitors fall within the 25-34 age bracket, closely followed by the 18-24 age group.
9. MasterClass has over 180 courses led by celebrities in their fields
By 2023, the platform has produced over 180 courses in 11 categories. These classes feature renowned figures like Samuel L. Jackson teaching acting, Anna Wintour sharing business growth insights, and David Sedaris offering humor lessons.
10. The average duration of MasterClass lessons is 20 to 30 minutes per video
MasterClass lessons are typically 20 to 30 minutes long. The courses come with workbooks, and students can chat with classmates. While celebrities can talk to students, they don't have to by contract.
The short lessons help students learn better and suit the modern learner's preference for concise content.
Summary: MasterClass Statistics
- MasterClass is worth over $2.75 billion.
- MasterClass sold courses to over 30,000 people in its initial four months.
- To date, MasterClass has raised over $460 million in funding.
- In 2023, Masterclass has reduced its workforce by over 50%, from over 600 workers to 300.
- MasterClass has 701 employees in 2023
- Instructors in MasterClass earn 30% of their class revenue.
- 46.12 % of MasterClass students are from the U.S.
- MasterClass is offering classes starting at $11.90/month.
- MasterClass has over 180 courses led by celebrities in their fields.
- The average duration of MasterClass lessons is 20 to 30 minutes per video.
Although MasterClass does not offer any certificate once you complete your courses, it can always be a good idea to try the 30-day guarantee and evaluate the quality of your lessons.
And yes, MasterClass subscriptions might have dropped since 2022 due to the return to face-to-face classrooms. However, it is necessary to highlight the value that MasterClass has over any other educational method, and that is that you will see lessons (some more profound than others) directly from people who have been recognized for their expertise in their professions.
- MasterClass CEO David Rogier Brought Star Power to Online Learning
- Choose an annual membership
- MasterClass more than triples valuation in one year.
- What MasterClass Online Courses Pay to Lure Hollywood Stars as Teachers.
- MasterClass cuts 20% of 600-person staff to ‘get to self-sustainability faster’ | TechCrunch
- MasterClass Reportedly Spent $US100,000 on a Replica of Bob Iger’s Office
- masterclass.com Traffic Analytics, Ranking Stats & Tech Stack | Similarweb
- MasterClass Is Offering 15% off Its Yearly Subscription For Any Plan
- MasterClass just raised $100 million for celebrity-fueled content | TechCrunch
- MasterClass review: Here's how it works, what it's like to use, and the best celebrity-led classes to take.