Twitch is a platform that brings together entire communities of users eager to consume or broadcast live to the world various activities ranging from video games to the interpretation of live music or cooking in real-time.
However, Twitch, officially born in 2011, goes beyond the consumption and transmission of live content. Thanks to the platform's chat, those who are part of this universe can also interact with the streamers.
Now, what is so interesting about Twitch, and why is there a potential audience to tap into this website regarding marketing? Check out these 10 Twitch stats to better understand the platform and get started in live streaming content in 2023.
Main Twitch statistics:
- Twitch hosted approximately 2.5 million viewers by February 2023.
- Twitch ranks fifth among the most used platforms for video consumption.
- Viewers consumed around 22.4 billion hours on Twitch in 2022
- Twitch has 10.9 million streaming channels.
- 56.1% of Twitch channels are in English.
- 36.57% of live content consumers on Twitch are 18-24-year-olds.
- The most popular video game streamer on Twitch is Ninja, with 10.6 million followers.
- League of Legends is the most streamed video game on Twitch, with 51.3 billion views.
- 79.14% of Twitch users are male.
- 65% of Twitch views are on PC.
Twitch hosted approximately 2.5 million viewers by February 2023
One of the reasons a user decides to invest hours in watching another stream their live activities, such as their progress in games like League of Legends, may respond to the streamer's talent.
But how many people are interested in connecting and watching another user play a video game? According to recent measurements, in the first two months of 2023, Twitch amassed an estimated 2.5 million viewers and around 7 million broadcasters.
The figure, however, represents a drop in activity of between 13% and 17% from the same period in 2022, according to different sites such as Finbold.
Twitch ranks fifth among the most used platforms for video consumption
Although Twitch is a queen platform for streaming, Twitch is the fifth most used site for that purpose when it comes to regular video consumption.
According to True List, YouTube is the preferred video platform, with a 48.7% market share. Facebook follows it with 41.7% and Instagram with 33.9%.
Twitch, meanwhile, has a 9.4% share in the world of Internet video consumption.
Viewers consumed around 22.4 billion hours on Twitch in 2022
While there was a decrease of almost 6% regarding the hours consumed on Twitch compared to 2021, where many people still stayed at home with their devices because of Covid-19, the truth is that in 2022, users finished approximately 22.4 billion hours, as Twitchtracker says.
According to the time recorded by Business of Apps, that figure exceeds other live streaming services, such as YouTube Gaming and Facebook gaming, by more than 15 billion hours of views.
Twitch has 10.9 million streaming channels
When it comes to streaming, Twitch has up to 10 times as many unique channels as YouTube and up to 50 times as many as Facebook.
According to reports published by Abdalslam, as of mid-2022, Twitch had 10.9 million streaming channels, of which the main topics are video games, music, and technology.
56.1% of Twitch channels are in English
More than half of Twitch channels are in English. But, again, nothing new, considering English is the most widely used language in the gaming industry.
Besides that, Twitch's headquarters are located in San Francisco, where English is the primary language spoken. So it's unsurprising that Twitch has a higher percentage of English channels.
However, Twitch is a global platform, and they recognize that only some people speak English. Therefore, they've implemented language-specific directories and automatic translation tools to help viewers and streamers connect regardless of language barriers. So, even if you don't speak English, you can still find excellent channels to follow on Twitch.
36.57% of live content consumers on Twitch are 18-24-year-olds
Although Twitch was not explicitly created for video game streaming, the truth is that this activity is one of the most popular on Amazon's platform. One of the profiles with the most followers is Ninja, a streamer mainly dedicated to showing his performance on Fortnite.
It is, therefore, not surprising that in terms of demographics, most Twitch stream consumers are young. According to Similar Web, 36.57% of the platform's active audience are 18-24-year-olds, while 31.01% are 25-34-year-olds.
The most popular video game streamer on Twitch is Ninja, with 10.6 million followers
Ninja, whose real name is Richard Tyler Blevins, is a prominent figure in Twitch. As of 2023, he has a staggering 18.5 million followers on the platform, making him one of the most popular streamers in the world.
Ninja is known for his skill and expertise in gaming, particularly in Fortnite, which has helped him build a loyal following of fans who tune in to watch him play and offer tips and tricks since 2011.
One of the reasons Ninja has become a household name in the gaming community and continues to be a significant force on Twitch is his engaging and entertaining personality. His natural charisma and humor draw in viewers and keeps them engaged throughout his streams.
League of Legends is the most streamed video game on Twitch, with 51.3 billion views
Regarding video games streamed, League of Legends has the most followers. According to Business of Apps data, the video game, with 51.3 billion views, surpasses:
- Fortnite: 29.1 billion views.
- Grand Theft Auto V: 25.7 billion views.
- Counter-Strike, Global Offensive: 23 billion views.
79.14% of Twitch users are male
Historically, video games have been associated with predominantly male activity. This perception may have resulted in social norms and expectations discouraging women from participating in gaming and related activities.
As a result, men may be more likely to seek out and participate in online communities such as Twitch that revolve around gaming and related content. In fact, according to Similar Web, 79.14% of the platform's users are male, while only 20.86% are female.
65% of Twitch views are on PC
Even though smartphones and tablets have become popular over the years, it's unsurprising that many people still prefer to watch Twitch on a larger screen.
When gaming, having a bigger screen like a PC or TV makes for a better experience. It's interesting, though, because even though mobile devices make up a more significant share of internet traffic, they only account for 35% of Twitch views.
That could be because, although playing games on a tiny screen is only sometimes ideal, the mobile app market continues to experience significant growth, with consumers spending more money on apps and fun than ever before.
According to TechCrunch, in 2021, 233 apps and games generated over $100 million in consumer spending, with 13 surpassing $1 billion in revenue. This marks a 20% increase from 2020 when 193 apps and games reached the $100 million threshold in annual consumer spending, and only eight managed to exceed $1 billion in revenue.
- Twitch's success in attracting over 2.5 million viewers can be attributed to its unique offering of live-streaming content, primarily focused on video games, esports, and creative content. In addition, the platform provides an immersive and engaging experience that keeps viewers engaged for long periods, with over 22.4 billion hours of content consumed in 2022.
- Twitch's interactive features, such as chat rooms and live polls, make it an excellent platform for businesses and content creators to build their brands and connect with their audience, most of them millennials.
- Although most of Twitch's users are male, businesses and content creators can still connect with many 18-24-year-old live content consumers, who make up 36.57% of Twitch's audience. Plus, with 65% of Twitch views on PC, the platform provides an excellent opportunity to target a tech-savvy audience.
- Twitch has a diverse range of streamers, from professional esports players to creative artists, providing a wide range of opportunities for brands to partner with and expose their products or services to new audiences. Additionally, the website's global reach, with 56.1% of channels in English, makes it an ideal platform for businesses looking to expand their brand's international reach.